Joao Paulo Tavares
Tuesday, June 28, 2022
In this custom-made training on City-Led Science Diplomacy, students will learn about the role of global cities in a context of complex global shared challenges, where urban stakeholders are crucial actors in the international arena. Students will explore how cities interact with global agendas such as the Agenda 2030 and the New Urban Agenda, and the importance of science, technology and innovation to sustainable urban development.
In the first section of the course, students will engage with state-of-the-art literature to refine their conceptual understanding of the subject.
Students will also dive into best practices on the articulation of cities, innovation, and science diplomacy, exploring selected case studies to gain practical insights. They will examine the cases of Barcelona, Geneva and New York’s initiatives related to science diplomacy and sustainable urban development, focusing on the main lessons, challenges and opportunities emerging from these experiences. In this section of the course, students will be encouraged to critically approach the case studies to gain insights on how to contextualize and calibrate best practices to their own urban realities.
In the final section of this course, students will participate in a hands-on activity for developing the general structure of a City-led Science Diplomacy Strategic Plan document. This activity will contextualize the previous sections to provide actionable guidelines for urban actors concerned with developing an internationalization strategy aligned with sustainable urban development.
In this course, students will train to become leaders in the mainstreaming of City-Led Science Diplomacy, especially in the framework of the SDGs and the NUA. By attending this course, participants will be able to identify the different challenges and opportunities that global cities face, and the role of science and technology in strengthening sustainable urban development.
This training event will provide students with in-depth knowledge on city-led science diplomacy for sustainable urban development in the context of the Agenda 2030 and the New Urban Agenda.
- Explore the emerging trend of City-Led Science Diplomacy in the context of the Agenda 2030 and the New Urban Agenda.
- Build a solid conceptual framework on the articulation of cities, science, technology, innovation and global challenges.
- Develop actionable knowledge focused on contextualized evidence-based decision-making.
- Discover best practices and gain practical insights on urban internationalization strategies in the framework of sustainable urban development.
- Refine skills related to internationalization in the context of disruptive technologies.
- Gain in-depth knowledge on the importance of internal alignment with the urban science, technology and innovation ecosystem towards a cohesive internationalization strategy.