Tuesday, June 28, 2022
This Networking Event, hosted by The Prince’s Foundation, New York University Marron Institute for Urban Management (NYU), UN-Habitat, Architecture Sans Frontières UK (ASF-UK) and the Sierra Leone Urban Research Centre (SLURC), will present innovative planning tools that are designed to help cities to respond to the urgent challenges of our time. The tools will include UN-Habitat’s Our City Plans, The Prince’s Foundation’s Rapid Planning Toolkit for Urban Expansion and the Community Planning Toolkit by ASF-UK and SLURC. The event will be divided into three parts:
1. Event Opening: Introduction to the event and importance of the city planning tools in the context of a rapidly urbanising and unequal world.
2. Presentations of the Planning Tools
a. Our City Plans (UN-Habitat)
b. Rapid Planning Toolkit for Urban Expansion (The Prince’s Foundation and NYU)
c. Community Planning Toolkit (ASF-UK and SLURC)
3. Discussion and Q&A
All the attendees will be able to ask questions and engage in the dialogue initiated by the guests and speakers.
The objectives are as follows:
1. To share best practices of urban planning and three planning methodologies that can help cities to implement participatory processes, according to the objective and resources.
2. To present the innovative tools to prospective donors to raise funds to implement the tools in towns or cities across the Global South, particularly those that lack capacity and resource
3. To showcase the tools to city leaders who we can work with to identify funds to implement the tools
4. To provide visibility to the digital tools to attract and engage new users.
5. To create a network of urban planners and city leaders interested in exchanging experiences and using planning methodologies.