Skip to main content

8–13 February 2020

WUF10

Abu Dhabi

Cities of Opportunities: Connecting Culture and Innovation

About WUF10

The Tenth Session of the World Urban Forum (WUF10) takes place in Abu Dhabi, from 8–13 February 2020. The venue is the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Center (ADNEC) under the theme: Cities of Opportunities: Connecting Culture and Innovation.

The 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development and the New Urban Agenda have put culture at the centre of discussions on sustainable urbanization. Culture and cultural diversity are sources of enrichment and provide an important contribution to the sustainable development of urban areas.

Culture encompasses knowledge, art, belief, capabilities, habits, morals and behaviours.

The cities that encourage inclusivity, tolerance and participation see improved social cohesion.

Urban areas contain the cultural diversity, creative capital, vitality, social infrastructure and opportunities to attract the skills and talent to generate innovation and solutions.

Key Facts

169
Countries
642
Speakers
13 400
Participants

WUF10 Dialogues

Six Dialogues Sessions at the WUF10  take stock of emerging innovative approaches and practices in harnessing culture and innovation as drivers for sustainable urbanization and provide greater insights into the linkages between urbanization, culture and innovation as a basis for achieving inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and human settlements.

They promote synergies between tradition and modernity, creating spaces for convergence in multicultural and multigenerational communities and explore the role of culture and innovation in implementation of the New Urban Agenda and achieving urban dimensions of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.

Key Focus Areas

01

Urbanization, Culture & Innovation

02

Implementing the new urban agenda to drive sustainable change

03

Tradition and modernity – a creative convergence for sustainable cities

04

Frontier technologies and sustainable cities

05

Urban planning and heritage preservation and regeneration

06

Partnerships and initiatives supporting culture and innovation in cities

Documents

Key messages

Maimunah Mohd Sharif
Maimunah Mohd Sharif
Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)

Today, some ten years before 2030, the World Urban Forum is even more relevant as it is one of the few global platforms that is truly inclusive. Government representatives get to meet mayors, private sector partners and civil society to debate and jointly find innovative solutions to the challenges that cities and communities face.

I personally welcome you to the World Urban Forum, one of the most dynamic gatherings in the international arena today.

Let us commit to maintaining the momentum we generate this week to improve the lives of everyone in an urbanizing world.

H.E. Falah Mohamed Al Ahbabi
H.E. Falah Mohamed Al Ahbabi
Chairman, Department of Municipalities and Transport Abu Dhabi, UAE

On behalf of the UAE Government and Abu Dhabi Department of Municipalities and Transport, it is my honour to welcome you to Abu Dhabi as we host the 10th session of the World Urban Forum (WUF10). It holds particular significance for us, as WUF10 marks the first time an Arab nation will host this prestigious global event.

The World Urban Forum offers Abu Dhabi and the UAE, an opportunity to share its knowledge and achievements with cities, as a global hub for innovation and cultural exchange. As a city home to over 190 nationalities living in harmony, Abu Dhabi offers a unique combination of features in its urban identity as an open, tolerant and progressive Arab city.

Media Materials

View all
Newsletter Vol. 1
August 2019

Newsletter Vol. 2
October 2019

Newsletter Vol. 3
December 2019

Abu Dhabi

Meaning 'Land of the Gazelle' in Arabic, Abu Dhabi is the federal capital of the United Arab Emirates.

Abu Dhabi hosted the eighteenth session of the UNIDO General Conference in 2019

Abu Dhabi hosted the International Defence Conference (IDC) in 2019

The Emirate lies on the border with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Sultanate of Oman and the Arabian Gulf. The emirate comprises 200 islands and has 700 kilometers of coastline. Abu Dhabi is the largest of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Across the UAE, Emirati citizens make up nearly 20% of the total population with the other 80% comprising of expatriates from Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe and North America.